Full professor, University Milano - Bicocca
Marialuisa Lavitrano is full professor of Pathology, director of the Molecular Medicine Unit and of the Executive Masters’ in Management of Research Infrastructures at Milano-Bicocca University, where she was vice-Rector delegate for International Affairs (2006-2013).
Over the years she has contributed to the international strategies of the Italian Ministries of Research and of Health, and coordinated the Italian participation in the BioMedical Sciences ESFRI roadmap. In 2013 Prof. Lavitrano was appointed BBMRI.it Node-Director.
Prof. Lavitrano holds various institutional positions in executive and management roles, including:
- Member of the Task Force for the implementation of the National Program for Open Science;
- Member of the Management Committee of the European Research Infrastructure BBMRI-ERIC;
- Member of the eScience Advisory Committee, The Netherlands eScience Center;
- Member of the GÉANT eHealth Task Force Steering Committee;
- Member of the Scientific Board of the AIRC-Italian Association for Cancer Research;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Biogem Research Institute.
Prof. Lavitrano was first elected to the EOSC Association Board of Directors in December 2020 and serves as vice-president.
Prof. Lavitrano has long-standing experience in managing R&D projects, with leading roles in 12 European Union-funded projects within the Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe framework programmes, nine of which relate to research infrastructures. Moreover, she is interested in the bioethical aspects of science and research, and has participated in bioethics commissions of the Council of Europe, of the Vatican, and of the Italian government.