EOSC Steering Board representatives
The activity of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (currently, the Ministry of Education and Science) in providing support for open models of scientific communication is dated back to 2004 with the signing of the OECD Declaration on Access to Research Data From Public Funding. In 2008, members of the European University Association (43 Polish HEI) and the Conference of Rectors of Academic Schools in Poland (CRASP) issued their Recommendations on Open Access.
In 2015, the Ministry approved the document titled Kierunki rozwoju otwartego dostępu do publikacji i wyników badań naukowych w Polsce [Eng. Directions of the development of open access to research publications and research results in Poland] and in 2018, the Report on the implementation of the policy regarding Open Access to scientific publications in 2015-2017 was published. Adopting the Law on Higher Education and Science (Law 2.0) in 2018 provided the legal framework for implementing Open Science in Poland. The same year, the National Science Centre (NCN) was among 11 national RFOs launching the cOAlition S. Consequently, NCN established the Policy of the National Science Centre regarding Open Access to publications in May 2020. In July 2021, NCN was an early adopter of the Rights Retention Strategy established by the cOAlition S. As for the open data, the legal framework regarding this area has been established within the Act of 11 August 2021 on open data and re-use of public sector information (Journal of Laws of 2021, item 1641).
The National Scientific Policy adopted by the Ministry of Education and Science in July 2022, indicates Open Science and EOSC as essential fields for further advancement. The Ministry is also in the process of designing the National Open Data Policy, with a consultancy role of the Open Data Advisory Group, which consists of a broad representation of Polish OS stakeholders.
EOSC Poland is the national structure of the EOSC composed of ten stakeholders, as follows:
- National Science Centre(coordination)
- Ministry of Education and Science
- Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan
- Gdansk University of Technology
- Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- PSNC – Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Centre
- Institute of Biochemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Jagiellonian University in Kraków
- University of Warsaw
- AGH University of Science and Technology
Main priority areas
- Integration of stakeholders at the national level into the EOSC
- Dissemination and promotion of the EOSC at the national level
- Coordinating EOSC at the national level.
The EOSC Poland is an informal group of members and observers of the EOSC Association. It stays open to service providers and other national stakeholders engaged in EOSC-related activities.
- Coordination of EOSC-related activities at a national level.
- Providing a platform for the involvement of national stakeholders.
- Establishing a forum for the exchange of information and best practices in the field of Open Science.
- Developing and strengthening the potential of the EOSC (skills, knowledge, resources).
- Mainstreaming EOSC into open data initiatives at the international and national level – creating international liaisons to support the well-aligned development of EOSC.
- Raising awareness of the EOSC
- Providing support for mapping EOSC-related initiatives at the national, regional and institutional level
- Strengthening EOSC awareness at the national level
- Creating a national EOSC community involving all types of stakeholders to discuss and share EOSC experiences and enhance Open Science competence at the national level
- Increasing involvement in the EOSC Association
- Organising public webinars/events to:
- inform national stakeholders about the latest advancements of the EOSC
- collect feedback from national actors and implement it into the EOSC management system and other EOSC activities (e.g., EOSC-related projects)
- discuss EOSC-related topics at the national/EU level
- Individual support for organizations to better understand the EOSC environment and discuss the benefits of joining the Association.
National Tripartite Event: Poland
The National Science Centre (NCN) will host Poland’s 2nd National Tripartite Event: The widening countries and the future of EOSC, on 6-7 November 2023 in Kraków. The event will focus on the following topics: EOSC Landscape...
National Tripartite Event: Poland
The National Science Centre (NCN) will host Poland’s 2nd National Tripartite Event: The widening countries and the future of EOSC,... Read more
EOSC Day Poland: Making Open Science a Reality
Poznań Networking and Supercomputing Center (PSNC), University of Adam Mickiewicz, and Poznań University of Technology, together with National Science Center Poland (the EOSC Mandated Organisation for Poland) are proud to...
EGI Conference 2023
EGI2023 will take place in Poznań, Poland – from June 19th to June 23rd! At the annual EGI conference, international scientific communities, computing and service providers, European projects, security experts,...
Key legislation and policies shaping Polish OS landscape:
- Act of 11 August 2021 on open data and re-use of public sector information (Journal of Laws of 2021, item 1641).
- The Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668, as later amended)
- Regulation No. 38/2020 and 40/2020 Director of the National Science Centre on Definition of the National Science Centre Policy Relating to Open Access for Publication of May 27, 2020
- National Science Policy, 2022
EOSC in Practice
Embracing the principles of transparency, reproducibility, and accessibility, these examples highlight the innovative approaches adopted by researchers across various disciplines. From open data sharing and collaborative platforms to pre-registration and open peer review, these practices enhance scientific integrity and contribute to the advancement of knowledge.
CHIST-ERA Call Open & Re-usable Research…
National Science Centre in cooperation with the CHIST-ERA European Coordinated Research network on Long-term Challenges in Information and Communication Sciences... Read more
NCN requirement for sharing publicly funded…
Research grant schemes envisage several types of publications to be available in open access under the CC-BY license or equivalent... Read more
Recording: NTE Poland 202306-07 November 2023, Kraków
NTE Poland 20236-7 November 2023, Krakow, Poland
NTE Poland 202224-26 October 2022
News from Poland
Poland’s EOSC Festival and NTE put spotlight on EOSC in Widening Countries
KRAKOW — The second National Tripartite Event in Poland was held as part of Poland’s EOSC Festival 2023 on 6-7... Read more
EOSC-A welcomes new Members and Observers
Four new Members and four new Observers were unanimously voted into EOSC-A at GA#6, bringing the total number of EOSC-A organisations to 251.
EOSC Association welcomes 8 new Members and 4 Observers
From brain science to environmental research, and from lasers to particles to antiprotons, the EOSC Association is proud to introduce you to its newest Members and Observers.
Members and Observers from Poland
National Science Centre
NCN is a government agency, supervised by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, set up in 2011 to support...
Łukasiewicz Research Network – Institute of…
Lukasiewicz-EMAG is a network institute specializing in applied computer science, technical information technology and information technologies. The Institute deals with,...
University of Warsaw
The leading concepts of the University’s activity are the unity of teaching and research, and the harmonious development of all...
Please find here the EOSC-related projects where members from this country are involved as partners.
Artificial Intelligence for the European Open Science Cloud
AI4EOSC project will deliver an enhanced set services for the development of AI, ML and DL models and applications in the......
A Federated European FAIR and open Research Ecosystem for oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters
Blue-Cloud 2026 aims at a further evolution of the Blue-Cloud pilot ecosystem into a Federated European Ecosystem to deliver FAIR......
Creating a Robust Accessible Federated Technology for Open Access
CRAFT-OA project aims to create resilient landscape, a robust pan-European network of infrastructures that will take into account local capacities, and......